Skip to main content

Ubuntu 7.10 on Inspiron 1520


Today Ubuntu 7.10 has been released!
You can download it at: www.ubuntu.com
Where I live, Internet connection is not fast so I rather prefer downloading the Torrent first.

I Installed Ubuntu in my Inspiron 1520 Machine without any trouble (Compared to previous versions). So far, I have tried the following Items:

  • Wireless Network. It worked like a breeze
  • Screen at High Resolution (Although I haven't tried yet the nVidia drivers)
  • Bluetooth seem to be working (It finds devices nearby)

First Item I was not able to have running is the audio, so I searched over the Internet, and I found this great thread in a Forum:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=577469

I followed the steps in a similar way as described in that thread:

Reboot the system (just to make sure everything is set up) and Audio worked.

I had issues with the Bluetooth mouse. When trying to connect to that device, system thrown an error.
I followed directions on this thread:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=87919


But, with some slight modifications. Please take a look:

Execute:
hcitool scan

This application will scan the surroundings identifying Bluetooth devices. Don't forget clicking on the "Available" button on your mouse. If mouse is found, then you will be able to view its MAC address



Next instruction:
sudo hidd --connect xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
Where xx... is the MAC address you found with the previous command.
This command will connect the mouse to your computer, but ... only temporarily. As soon as you restart your computer, you loose connection.

Having you mouse working always, you have to edit the following file:
/etc/default/bluetooth
(This is the correct name under Ubuntu 7.10)
By modifying the following lines:
HIDD_ENABLED=1
HIDD_OPTIONS="-i xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx --server"

This way, mouse will be working as you ever dreamed.

Comments

Fabian Mejia said…
I have to add that this procedure will work also under Ubuntu 8.04.
Anonymous said…
very nice very nice, Also I would love to know, did you install on a virtual pc or like you do normally?

Then : does this work with 8.10?
Fabian Mejia said…
With virtual PC do you mean something like VMWare? I haven't tried 8.10 but I am 90% it will run even better on a 1520